If you smell gas, think you have a gas leak, or are worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, please call the free Gas Emergency Services emergency line immediately -
- 0800 111 999
In a gas emergency at home you need to act quickly and take the following steps:
- Turn off the gas supply if it is safe to do so at the emergency control valve at the meter unless the meter is located in a basement/cellar or at the LPG bulk tank or storage vessels.
- Extinguish all naked flames and do not smoke.
- Do not operate electrical switches (this includes turning switches on or off). Operating electrical equipment can ignite escaping gas.
- Get to fresh air immediately - open all doors and windows to ventilate the area.
- Contact the relevant National Gas Emergency number above.
- If you are feeling unwell visit your GP or hospital immediately and inform them that you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide.
- If the attending emergency operative identifies any concern with any gas appliances, follow the advice given concerning use of the equipment and where advised contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to fix the appliance and check for safety.
- Do not turn the gas supply on again until it has been checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Last update on Saturday 16 Feb 2019 by Alan Comber.