Crime - 999/101 etc

In an emergency you should of course always dial 999.

When to call 999

You should always call 999 if:

  • you or someone else is in immediate danger
  • if the crime is in progress
  • you need police help immediately.

This could include:

  • someone using violence or threatening violence
  • if there is a danger to life
  • serious damage is being or could be caused to a property
  • a potential criminal has been disturbed or stopped
  • a road traffic collision where someone is hurt or a danger is being caused to other road users.

If the matter is not an emergency, dial 101.

To report non-emergency crimes, disorder or anti-social behaviour or to speak to your local police officers. 

Please DO NOT RING 101 for noise nuisance, lost dogs, abandoned vehicles, fly tipping and littering, road problem (traffic lights not working, roadworks, debris in the road), mis-selling, litter/dog fouling, fraud and untaxed vehicles

Guidance for these issues can be found at:


Last update on Thursday 16 Aug 2018 by Alan Comber.

Go back