Suffolk Constabulary - Summer Security
As we finally get to enjoy some warm sunny days, we naturally tend to have windows and doors open more, spend more time in the garden and take time out to enjoy the stunning Suffolk countryside.
Please take every opportunity to ensure that criminals are not able to spoil your day by following a few simple steps:
- Always lock your external doors, even when you are at home.
- Check the doors and windows are secure before leaving the house or at night, especially doors like French doors that may not have been used for months. Don’t assume another member of the household has done it.
- Don’t leave keys in the locks or within reach or sight of the door or window. Make sure you have a fire plan so everyone in the house can leave quickly in the event of an emergency.
- Windows should be left secure when a room is unoccupied, even if you are still in the house.
- Never leave a door or window insecure to allow a pet or family member access.
- Never leave car keys within reach or sight of the doors or windows.
- Lock cycles in a secure shed or garage. Fit a secure ground anchor and lock them to that too.
- Always lock tools away after working in the garden to prevent them being used to force entry.
- Ensure your rear garden is secure and lock gates.
For more information on home security please go to Home Security Checklist