Suffolk Constabulary - Summer Holiday Home Security
With the start of the summer holidays, people are beginning to take some well needed breaks. Whether you are away for a few days or longer, or even enjoying a Staycation in the garden or a holiday home, please take every opportunity to ensure that criminals are not able to spoil your day by following a few simple steps:
- Always lock your external doors, even when you are at home.
- Check the doors and windows are secure before leaving the house or at night, especially doors like French doors. Don’t assume another member of the household has done it.
- Don’t leave keys in the locks or within reach or sight of the door or window. Make sure you have a fire plan so everyone in the house can leave quickly in the event of an emergency.
- Windows should be left secure when the room is unoccupied.
- Never leave a door or window insecure to allow a pet or family member access.
- Never leave car keys within reach or sight of the doors or windows.
- Lock cycles in a secure shed or garage. Fit a secure ground anchor and lock them to that too.
- Always lock tools away after working in the garden to prevent them being used to force entry.
- Ensure your rear garden is secure and lock gates.
For further advice and a simple home security self-assessment, please use the following link Home Security Checklist
Help us keep our communities safe.
Police advice on a variety of subjects can be accessed via https://www.suffolk.police.uk/advice
To report something, or to otherwise contact Police, use the link http://www.suffolk.police.uk/contact-us
To report something anonymously call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit www.crimestoppers-uk.org
Alternatively call 101 for non-urgent matters.
Always call 999 in emergencies, or if an immediate police response is required.
Police Connect Team