Suffolk Constabulary - Distraction Thefts of Mobiles
Police are reminding customer facing staff to keep their phones secure at all times after receiving 7 reports of ‘distraction thefts’ since start of October.
The offenders will enter a premises with a customer reception area (such as a hairdressers or hotel) and distract staff by asking for help or directions and waving papers around. They will then take the phone from the reception desk/counter whilst the member of staff is distracted.
To reduce the risk of having your phone stolen, please follow these simple tips:
- Keep your phone secure and out of sight at all times.
- Leave your phone in a secure locker or room away from any public facing areas if possible.
- Be alert to customers who may try to distract you by asking questions and waving papers at you.
- Ensure that your phone is registered at www.immobilise.com
- Encourage your customers to follow this advice too.
- Ensure your phone is registered to a tracking app and switched on; if your phone is taken then alert the app immediately.
Help us keep our communities safe.
Police advice on a variety of subjects can be accessed via https://www.suffolk.police.uk/advice
To report something, or to otherwise contact Police, use the link http://www.suffolk.police.uk/contact-us
To report something anonymously call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit www.crimestoppers-uk.org
Alternatively call 101 for non-urgent matters.
Always call 999 in emergencies, or if an immediate police response is required.
Police Connect Team