Police Connect - Appeal to business to review security
Police are reminding businesses in Suffolk to review their security arrangements in light of the current situation with the coronavirus outbreak
Business owners should consider removing equipment/stock, review CCTV, alarm and lighting provision etc. For more detailed advice do visit https://www.suffolk.police.uk/sites/suffolk/files/coronavirus_small_business.docx.pdf
Across the county there have been break ins to bowling greens, farms and other various commercial businesses, owing to the fact that the majority of these organisations have been on lockdown.
We would particularly like to draw your attention to the following points:
- Think layers of security. Start with a secure perimeter fence and work inwards.
- Use good quality close shackle padlocks, for more details see www.soldsecure.com
- High quality CCTV capable of being monitored and a monitored alarm will alert you to the presence of intruders at the earliest opportunity.
- Roller shutters, ultra-strong glass and fogging devices are additional security measures worth considering. For more details see www.securedbydesign.com
- In some cases, forced entry has occurred through the roof, via external and even internal walls. Review how easy that would be at your premises and how quickly any existing alarm/CCTV would detect that.
- Removing valuable items from on display and place them within a secure monitored location.
- If valuables have to remain on site, further protect them within secure cages.
A self-assessment form, with detailed advice is available at https://www.suffolk.police.uk/sites/suffolk/files/smallbusinesssecurityselfassessment1.pdf
This should normally be completed annually, however, it is recommended that this is done as soon as possible during this current period of inactivity to address issues immediately.
To report suspicious activity or concerns about crime you can
Phone – Call 101 (Please note in the event of an emergency you should always call 999) Or online at http://www.suffolk.police.uk/contact-us Or
Crimestoppers –the independent charity offering 100% anonymity on 0800 555 111, or via their online form: www.crimestoppers-uk.org
Help us keep our communities safe.
Police advice on a variety of subjects can be accessed via https://www.suffolk.police.uk/advice
To report something, or to otherwise contact Police, use the link http://www.suffolk.police.uk/contact-us
To report something anonymously call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit www.crimestoppers-uk.org
Alternatively call 101 for non-urgent matters.
Always call 999 in emergencies, or if an immediate police response is required.
Police Connect Team