Road Names

Introduction

Road naming in Kesgrave has been the subject of many articles in Kesgrave News over the years. The majority of roads on the Grange Farm Development are named after local people. Residents will perhaps recognise the doctor's patch and the headmaster and headmistress area. The development between St. Isidores roundabout and Century Drive is named after residents who have had a long-standing association with Scouts and Guides.

If you missed your road and particularly want to know who it is named after, then all the articles, by Norman Bugg, have been kept on file at the Council Office or alternatively can be found below.

Road Names A-Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

A
Adams Place
Alberta Close
Alice Grange
Arkle Court
Ashdale Gardens
Ashdale Road
Ashdale Walk
Athroll Mews
[top]

B
The Backs (tba)
Baden Powell Walk
Bailey Avenue
Baird Grove (tba)
Banthorpe Grove
Banyard Close
Bartrum Lane
Battles Lane
Bell Barn Lane
Bell Lane
Bloomfield Court
Bodmin Close
Booth Lane
Bracken Avenue
The Bretts
Brights Walk
Broadhurst Terrace
Browns Grove
Brownsea Court
Bude Close
Bugsby Way
Bull Drive
Butler Smith Grdns
[top]

C
Camborne Road
Cambridge Road
Cardew Drift
Carlton Road
Castle Gardens (tba)
Catchpole Drive (tba)
Cedar Avenue
Century Drive
Chandler Court
Church Close
Columbia Close
The Combers
Cooks Close
Copswood Close
Cox Close
Cranwell Grove (tba)
Crawford Lane
Curtis Way
[top]

D
Dawson Drift
Deben Valley Drive
Dewar Lane
Dickinson Terrace
Dobbs Drift
Dobbs Lane
Dr. Watsons Lane
Dodson Vale
Durrant View
[top]

E
East View (tba)
Edmonton Close
Edmonton Road
Elmers Lane
Emerald Close
Evans Drift (tba)
[top]

F
Fairbairn Avenue
Falmouth Close
Farthing Walk
Felix Close
Fentons Way
Ferguson Way
The Fishers (tba)
Fletchers Lane
Foxhall Road
Fox Lea
Francis Close
Friends Walk
[top]

G
The Garrards (tba)
Gayfer Avenue
Gifford Close (tba)
Glanville Place
Godbold Close
Goodall Terrace
Goodman Grove
Gostling Place
Gowers Close
Grange Business Centre
Grange Close
Grange Lane
Grantchester Place
Gressland Court
[top]

H
Hall Road
Halls Drift

Hares Close
Harrison Grove
Hartree Way (Mar 03)
Hartree Way (Sep 09)
Haskins Walk
Hayward Fields
Heath View
Helston Close
Herbert Road
Histon Close
The Hollies
Holly Road
Howards Way
Howlett Close
[top]

I
-
[top]

J
Jackson Close
Jeavons Lane
Jennings Drift
Jewell View
[top]

K
Kays Close
Kinsey View
Knights Lane
[top]

L
Lankester Way
Largent Grove
Laurel Avenue
Llewellyn Drift (tba)
The Lloyds (tba)
Lummis Vale
Lyle Close
Lyon Close (tba)
[top]

M
Mackenzie Drive
Main Road
Mannall Walk
Marshall Close
Masterson Grove (tba)
Mead DriveMendip Drive
Michigin Close
Millennium Way
Montana Road
Moorfield Close
[top]

N
Newman Drive
Newquay Close
Nock Gardens
[top]

O
Offord Close
Ogden Grove
Orchard Grove
Oregon Road
Oxford Road
[top]

P
Padstow Road
Page Gardens
Peacock Street
Peart Grove
Peasey Gardens
Penryn Road
Penzance Road
Pepper Place
Pilbroughs Walk
Pinetree Close
(now in Rushmere)
Pontins Walk (tba)
Potters Approach (tba)
[top]

Q
Quantrill Terrace
Quebec Drive
[top]

R
Randall Close
Ranulph Close (tba)
Rayment Drift
Reeve Gardens
Roberts Close
Ropes Drive
Rowarth Avenue
Roy Close
The Royalls (tba)
Rupert Fison Square
Rush Court
[top]

S
St. Agnes Way
St. Austell Close
St. Crispins Close (tba)
St. Isidores (May 94)
St. Isidores (Mar 03)
St. Ives Close
St. Lawrence Green
St. Lawrence Way
St. Martins Court (Mar 03)
St. Martins Court (Jan 08)
St. Michaels Close
St. Olaves Road
St. William Court (tba)
Scopes Road
Segger View (tba)
Sewell Wontner Close
Shelbourne Close
Sheppards Way
Sherwood Fields
Smiths Place
Spalding Lane (tba)
Spindler Close
Stammers Place
Stephen Road (Jul94)
Stephen Road (Oct 07)
Stewart Young Grove
Stollery Close
[top]

T
Tallboys Close
Terry Gardens
Thomas Crescent
Through Jollys
Tommy Flowers Drive
Tremlett Lane
Trinity Close
Truro Crescent
Turing Court
Turnbull Close
Turner Grove
Twelve Acre Approach
[top]

U
Upsons Way
[top]

V
Vincent Drift
[top]

W
Wades Grove
Wainwright Way
The Walk
Walker Chase (tba)
Wall Street
Wards View
Warren Chase
Webbs Court
White Lodge Gardens (tba)
The Whinneys
Wilding Drive
Wilkinson Drive (tba)
Wilkes Court (Mar04)
Wilkes Court (Sep 09)
Windiate Court (tba)
Windrush Road
Wolton Road
Woods Walk
The Woolnoughs
Wright Lane
[top]

X
-
[top]

Y
Yew Tree Grove (now in Rushmere)
[top]

Z
-
[top]

 

Kesgrave News - Mar 1994

Over many years much planning, debate and consultations took place for the development of Grange Farm. The then Parish Council took an active part in early talks and many hours were spent discussing various aspects. Most organisations in Kesgrave were asked to put forward ideas to be integrated into the formation of this new part of Kesgrave. Some 63 suggestions were collated and believe it or not, about 58 of them were incorporated into the Grange Farm planning and layout.

One item was the naming of roads. Many ideas came forward but, of course, we were restricted by Suffolk Coastal District Council and the Post Office. Our remit was that road names should not clash with Ipswich or Woodbridge if at all possible. This immediately cut out such schemes as flowers, trees, English and Scottish towns, birds, authors and much more.

The Parish Council formed a small sub-committee to look into the problem and they, with the help of other interested parties, came up with the idea of naming roads after past and present! residents, characters and businesses. The first twelve names were to be after ex-employees and members of the two farming families who previously owned the land. These were selected by the vendors. Thus we started with the main through road, Ropes Drive, after Mrs Rope and her son Crispin. Mrs Rope is sister to the late Philip Jolly who farmed most of the land. Mrs Ropes husband, Squadron Leader Rope, was killed in the R101 disaster at Beauvais on 5th October 1930. The Catholic Church of the Holy Family and St Michael was built in his memory. It was enlarged in the 1950's and the latest extension has just been completed.

Next came Through Jollys, named after the Jolly family who farmed Grange Farm and ran the nurseries from 1924 until the building started. The other main throughway is called Fentons Way. This is after the Fenton's who farmed Bell Barn Farm, of Kesgrave Fruit Farm, from 1933. Mr John Fenton at present farms Kiln Farm, Kesgrave - on the right of the A1214 opposite Sewells Garage.

[top]


Kesgrave News - Apr 1994

It has always been the remit of the Parish Council to try and make directions to areas within the Parish as easy as possible. With this in mind, plus the length of Ropes Drive, we suggested that East and West should be added. We also wanted the County Council to place name plates on the two roundabouts on the A1214 - the one by the C of E church to be called All Saints and the second St. Michael's after the Catholic church. This has now been done.

It's difficult to know quite where to start the story of naming roads but I think to explain in areas and grouping would be easiest. So continuing with the theme started last month we have the names of people who have worked for the Jolly family through the years.

The Whinneys, so called after Charlie and his wife who both worked on Grange Farm in the nurseries for many years.

Upson Way is named after Billy and his grandfather who both worked on the farm for many years.

Fletchers Lane, so called after Jack Fletcher who was the fitter and mechanic at Grange farm and is now retired and living in the village.

Herbert Road, named after Julian Herbert who was the secretary at the Farm and Nursery. He was also Parish Clerk 1964-1974. Bloomfield Court, Jack (John) worked at Grange Farm and Nurseries. He also served as a Parish Councillor for several years.

Largent Grove, is named after the Largent brothers, Sid and Walter, who were both respected dairymen who worked on the farm and ran the dairy, a Friesian herd of about eighty. Sid moved away to Essex, but Walter spent most of the rest of his life living in Kesgrave - for many years in the unmettled Grange Close and Grange Lane, and then in Glanville Place, first in a flat and later moving to a house in the same road.

Fox Lea, Ernie worked on the farm for about forty five years and is currently working on the building and maintenance of local properties.

The Bretts, between them Freddie and Arthur Brett worked on Grange Farm for over ninety years. Freddie's wife Flo and Arthur's wife Gwen worked for long periods on the Farm and Nurseries. Their daughters Margaret and Janet also worked, and still do, at the Nursery. Arthur is still employed by the family.

Cooks Close, Ernest Cook and Albert Cook were not related but both worked for many years at Grange Farm. Albert was killed in a motor accident while on Special Constable duty.

[top]


Kesgrave News - May 1994

This article continues with the ex-employees from Grange Farm, Nurseries and Bell Farm.

Booth Lane: Named after Charlie who for a number of years was a foreman at the Nurseries. Later he was to take on a smallholding at Newbourne.

Friends Walk: Mrs Friend has worked at the Grange farmhouse and still works at Mrs Rope's on the Main Road, 'just keeping the house neat and tidy'.

Howards Way: Named after Ron who spent his working life at the Nurseries, finishing up as foreman in charge of production of tomatoes, cucumbers, prize carnations and all types of pot plants. Ron now enjoys his retirement, still keeping busy in his own greenhouses as a hobby.

Pilbroughs Walk: So called after Fred who worked at Grange Farm as a tractor driver. He lived in one of the red brick cottages that still remain along Pilbrough's Walk just west of "The Farmhouse".

Saint Isidores: This is the drive into "The Farmhouse" and is so named after the patron saint of farmers.

Bell Barn Lane: Leads to the old farm house which was extended from a small 16th Century shepherd's cottage which is now the lounge. It is reputed that the oak timbers are from old ships. When Mr Fenton moved to Bell Barn Farm he took on an employee - Sid Page, hence Page Gardens. Sid lived at 29 St. Olaves Road until the outbreak of war. Sid's claim to fame is that he is pictured with E.S. Fenton in flg.13 of "The Story of Kesgrave" by Gerald and Margaret Ponting. Unfortunately this book is no longer in print and despite much effort a reprint has not been possible.

Mannall Walk: Another resident family of St. Olaves Road in 1932 was the Mannall family. Reg left school in 1941 and went to work on the farm. He left this employment in 1968 hut still resides in St. Olaves Road. He loves to walk his dog daily over the land he worked and trod all his life.

Gostling Place: Named after Don who also started at the farm on leaving school. He moved into Kiln Farm in 1961 when he married and is still one of three who cultivates the remaining agricultural land.

Francis Close: Named after Lesley Francis who lived with his brother and sister at Heath Cottages, Playford. He also worked at the Fruit Farm for many years until his marriage in 1979. He is probably best remembered by his friends from the Bell as being a stalwart member of the darts team.

[top]


Kesgrave News - Jun 1994

Kesgrave had three schools at this time: the High School on Main Road; Heath School in Bell Lane and the former Kesgrave Hall School now Shawes Manor. It was felt that the head teachers of these could form the basis of another group of road names.

The High School opened in October 1931 as the area school for pupils from five to fourteen. Pupils over eleven from surrounding parishes were provided with Council owned bicycles. Kesgrave pioneered this scheme and in those early days it was quite a talking point. The School's first head teacher was Captain RF Harrison, MC who was previously at Trimley. So we have Harrison Grove. After two years the school role had increased from 183 to 350 so it was necessary to expand. Captain Harrison ran the school much like a military operation even down to the school caretaker, 'Skipper' Terry, blowing the trumpet to call the pupils to class. Captain Harrison was responsible for constructing the original village sign, a cedar tree with the name Kesgrave underneath. Unfortunately it rotted away and disappeared about 1964 from a site alongside what is now Doranda Carpets, originally Browns the Chemist.

In 1940 Captain Harrison retired and the headship was taken over by Mr Sidney Reeve. Mr Reeve worked haiti at the school and in the village. He was chairman of the Parish Council from 1946 to 1958 and had great interest, and participated, in the planning and setting up of the first Community Centre. Mr Reeve was head of the Area School from 1940 to 1959 when it became the Modem School for Secondary Education. He continued as Head until his retirement in 1964, after seeing major building programmes. Thus we have Reeve Gardens.

Following on from Mr Reeves was Mr T Scopes who saw yet more expansion, hence Scopes Road. He was succeeded by Mr Brian Talboys in 1981 until retirement in 1986 and so we have Tallboys Road.

Meanwhile a new Primary school had been built in 1954 in Bell Lane with head mistress Miss B Moorfield. The village was very pleased to have Benjamin Britten perform the opening ceremony. In 1962 the Primary school was split into two schools on the same site with Miss Moorfield as Head of the Juniors and Miss Jewell as Head of the Infants. When Miss Moorfield retired in 1970 the school once again reverted to one and became the largest Primary School in East Suffolk. In 1988, after twenty six years, Miss Jewell retired and is really thriving on it. So we have Moorfield Close and Jewell View.

Mrs Marshall ran Kesgrave Hall as a boys Preparatory school with both boarders and day pupils. There were between 90 and 120 pupils aged between seven to fourteen. The school bus, with it's wooden seats, was well known around the village. The boys were always very well turned out and looked immaculate when attending church in their uniform of bright blue and yellow. So we have our last 'headteacher’ road, Marshall Close.

[added after article]

Roberts Close: After Mrs Roberts, the Headteacher of Heath Primary school who took over from Miss Jewell.

Thomas Crescent: After Mr Thomas, The Head Teacher of the High School who took over from Mr Tallboys.

[top]


Kesgrave News - Jul 1994

I have decided to take a break from the Grange Farm development and write about some of the older roads in the village. Starting at the Martlesham boundary we come to Gayfer Avenue. This is named after the original owner of what is now Roadworks site in Dobbs Lane. Mr J Gayfer died in 1946 aged seventy one. He developed Deben Avenue in the 1930's and advertised houses priced from £485 to £600 complete with plots about thirty one feet by two hundred and fifty feet, with entrance for a motor car. He went on to establish quite a large business manufacturing all types of concrete blocks and paving slabs.

Dobbs Lane and Dobbs Drift are named after John Dobbs, circa 1750. The story tells of a shepherd who was employed at Hall Farm, Kesgrave, later to be known as Grange Farm, who hanged himself. The tradition was that a suicide should be buried at the junction of a cross-roads complete with a stake through the heart. Dobbs was buried at the bottom of what is now Dobbs Lane, the grave is still marked to this day by a stone. This was at the junction of the four parishes of Kesgrave, Foxhall, Martlesham and Brightwell. Many tales have been told of Dobbs, all unconfirmed, even to the extent that the grave was opened up by revellers from The Bell, with eventually one of them wearing one of Dobb's teeth on his watch chain!

Copsewood Close was so named by the developer after the small woods that were nearby the site and used in the past for coppicing.

Grange Lane and Grange Close were named after the Farm, Grange Lane being one of the last unmettaled roads in the village. The others being Dobbs Drift and part of Oxford Road. Stephen Road was developed in the 1950's/6O's by Stephen Knights, a local builder from Dobbs Lane. The site used to be owned by a character named Mr Chace. He ran this land for many years as a smallholding - quite a colourful character with an equally colourful vocabulary!

Bracken Avenue is another development by Mr Knights, started in about 1938 and stopped for the duration of the war - all bungalows, bar one, and completed in about 1961. lt seems hard to believe that only a short time ago wooden poles lashed together with rope was the method of scaffolding. Bracken Avenue was named after nearby Bracken Hall.

Ashdale Road: No real trace can be found as to the source of this name, does anyone have any suggestions?

Wlndrush Road: I am informed that a Mr and Mrs Collett were the first couple to have a bungalow built in this road. As they came from Gloucestershire to Kesgrave, the naming came from the Gloucestershire river which in its turn is a tributary of the River Thames.

Emerald Close: When this land was developed the local council didn't get too involved with naming. I can recall that at the time many names were put forward and a final selection was made at Suffolk Coastal, or was it Deben Council - no idea of its origin.

St Olaves Road: The only information is that the original builder started life in the Lowestoft area and was keen to recall the Fritton Lake site with St Olaves.

Bell Lane: is named after the Public House which has been on the site since about 1700. Parts of the original still remain and it's possible that the inn was built on the site of an earlier hostelry.

Church Close, a bungalow development on a field originally owned by Tollemache the brewers and farmed by the two Brett Brothers, Arthur and Freddie, until building began in the late 1970's.

[top]


Kesgrave News - Aug 1994

In the reasoning for the names of Kesgrave's older roads a certain amount of poetic licence has been used together with tongue-in-cheek comments. Any facts would be gratefully received via the magazine.

Continuing along the Main Road towards Ipswich is Dr Watsons Lane, although only just within the modern Kesgrave boundary. The name came from a labourer who worked for the Fison family who lived at Kesgrave House. This was demolished to make way for the present "Walk" between The Bell and Bell Lane. "Dr Watson" lived in the small bungalow on the corner by the telephone exchange. His title is attributed both to his knowledge in attending to sick horses and maybe because, while at school in Rushmere, he patched up a school fellows knee and the teacher then called him in "Dr" Watson.

Edmonton Road derived it's name from the Canadian Association and in the 1950/1960's the Canadian estate grew to give us Edmonton Close, Quebec Drive, Alberta Close, St Lawrence Green, St Lawrence Way, Michigan Close, Columbia Close, Oregon Road and Montana Close.

Mackenzie Drive has a double meaning - it's suggested that it's both Canadian and also after Seina Thorpe who was known as "Mother MacKenzie". She was a character who moved round the area pushing a pram collecting rags to be sold. She lived rough and many reckoned she was of Gypsy origin and had left the tribe.

Oxford Road and Cambridge Road - it's been suggested that the builder was a betting man who couldn't make up his mind on Boat Race Day!

Trinity Close, Histon Close and Grantchester are all in the Cambridge Area.

Nothing at the moment is known of the origins of Carlton Road.

The theme from adjoining Rushmere St Andrew of trees, Beech, and Elm Roads, is continued with Holly Road, Pinetree Close and Yewtree Grove.

Cedar Avenue in the Canadian area is an oddity. Perhaps it is because of the existence of this type of tree in Canada!!

NB Pinetree Close and Yewtree Grove are now in the Parish of Rushmere St Andrew.

Felix Close is named after the builder Felix Allen. Roy Close may also be after the builder, I don't know.

Orchard Grove, Laurel Avenue and Heath View are really self-explanatory.

The remainder, Cambourne Road, Helston Close, Falmouth Close, St Ives Close, St Michaels Close, Padstow Road, Bodmin Close, Truro Crescent, Newquay Close, St Agnes Way, Penryn Road, Penzance Road, Bude Close and St Austell Close are all on the Cornish theme.

Mendip Drive, adjoining Kesgrave and Rushmere comes along with Quantock, Blackdown and the Malvern Hills.

Although I lived in Kesgrave when Glanville Place was constructed in the early 1950's I had no idea about the name. My father was on the Parish Council at the time but I didn't see fit to ask him as my interests at the time were motor bikes and "going courting. However, after contacting Mr Reg Lloyd who was on the Parish Council at that time, he put me on the right "road" - many thanks Reg. A Ranulph Glanville was a great lawyer and soldier who accompanied King Richard I to the Holy Land and lost his life there in 1190. Some years before his death he founded a priory at Butley in the year 1171. The priory had 38 churches under it's jurisdiction and Kesgrave was one of these. The church paid a tax to the Priory thus the parish priest of Kesgrave was appointed by the Priors of Butley.

Twelve Acre Approach was so named because of the size of the area. The Walk was named after the stretch of Bell Lane was re-aligned and that section virtually pedestrianised so becoming The Walk.

[top]


Kesgrave News - Sep 1994

Contrary to popular belief some of the new roads on Grange Farm were not named after cricketers namely Gower, Smith, Randall and Sheppard.

Gowers Close: Mr Gower ran a coal merchants and general haulage business from Main Road having his yard behind the bungalow. He was also an active member of KWMCC fund raising events in the 1960's.

Smiths Place: The older residents of the village will always remember Freda and her brother Henry who ran the Primrose Dairy from 1929 until 1971 at 71 Main Road. Freda delivered in the village by horse and float, complete with the large brass churn, seffing milk with a half pint and pint ladle into your own jug. The poor old horse died in harness, so we are told, around 1947 in Dobbs Lane. Henry's round in the early days was by motorcycle and sidecar and took him to the Rushmere end of the village.

Randall Close: Mr Randall ran a butchery shop at 79, Main Road. The shop is now Main Line Furniture. He was a Parish Councillor and his small Morris Eight van, complete with "Basil" his driver, were popular sights throughout the late 1940's and 1950's.

Sheppards Way: Les Sheppard a man with ideas. Les ran Gayfers Concrete for many years taking over from his father in law. He installed quite a lot of machinery for large capacity output making hundreds of thousands of slabs for sea defence, thousands of concrete blocks and an interlocking type of concrete brick still visible on many sites including Otley Village hall. He was also greatly involved in the concrete works at many of the early Butlins Holiday Camps.

Battles Lane: Mr Battle started a news agency at the small shop by old Bell Lane corner, moving later to Penzance Road. The present shop will always be known as "Battles". The shop gradually increased in size and the stock grew to include just about everything including bicycles!

Browns Grove: Mr Harold Brown ran the "Drug Store" in Main Road opposite the church, now Doranda Carpets. The original shop front was moved from the old Lummer and Pipes Grocery Store in Ipswich when the premises were demolished to make way for the building of the Lloyds Avenue arch. Mr Brown was very keen on photography and he produced a series of five picture postcards of village scenes in black and white prints. These are now quite a collectors item. They include views of All Saints church, Memorial Lynch gate, The Painted Monk St Francis, Area School and Main Road looking towards The Bell.

[top]


Kesgrave News - Oct 1994

Names featured this month are Cardew Drift, Fairbairn Avenue, Crawford Lane, Dewar Lane and Stewart Young Grove, all named after local doctors past and present.

In the early 1950's the doctors in Kesgrave were Dr Crawford and Dr Denton Cardew. They practised in Cumberland Street, Woodbridge and in a bungalow on Main Road, Kesgrave on the corner of Cambridge Road. Dr Cardew built Chester House in Bell Lane in 1952 - it was called Chester House after his wife's maiden name. Within the property was a surgery, waiting room and small dispensary. Patients used to come up the back path and enter a door which faced the present surgery. He left the practice in 1955 and Dr Crawford was joined by Dr Tom Fairbairn who had came from Glasgow to spend his trainee year in Aldeburgh. He lived in Chester House from 1955 until 1958. Dr Crawford became ill and died in 1958. Jimmy Dewar had been a student with Tom Fairbairn and came to Kesgrave as a locum and then to become a partner. He lived in Chester House with his wife and four children until 1964, when he decided to emigrate to Canada where he still lives. The present surgery was built in 1959.

In October 1964 Dr Stewart Young joined Dr Fairbairn after spending eighteen months as a house officer at Ipswich hospital. They were joined by Dr Hudson then Dr Simmonds and later by Dr Ashford. Dr Fairbairn took semi-retirement in 1989 and sadly died two months later. Until recently all doctors in the practice worked at both Woodbridge and Kesgrave but to give increased efficiency and service to their patients they now work at one surgery or the other. Dr Ashford and Dr Edwards now look after Kesgrave surgery, still part of the Woodbridge-Kesgrave practice. With the increase in population the surgery in Bell Lane is now very cramped. It is hoped a new surgery will be built near the Community Centre on the Grange Farm development in the near future.

Update - Jan 2013

On Dr Stewart Young's retirement in 1997, the Kesgrave and Woodbridge practice separated and are now independent. After a long struggle, Dr Edwards and his colleagues finally succeeded in the development of a "new" Surgery, the Birches Medical Centre, in Twelve Acre Approach, adjacent to the 1st Kesgrave Scout Hall, Rhymes Nursery, Tescos, and the shops. The new surgery was officially opened on 12th November 1998 and the old surgery at 22, Bell Lane was taken over by Suffolk County Council as a Community Resource Unit. This closed in early 2011, to be replaced, after adaptation, by the Kesgrave Children's Centre which opened on 1st May 2012.

[top]


Kesgrave News - Nov 1994

It was felt that the theme of farming should somehow continue with the building of the Grange Farm development. Thus the naming of some of the roads should be associated with previous landowners and tenant farmers. Two areas are associated with this theme.

Wolton Road: The farm known as Church Farm was owned by Frederick Brook and was tenanted by Samual Wolton from 1855 to 1868.

Hayward Fields: Robert Capon Hayward was the tenant farmer of Bell Farm, previously Church Farm, after Samual Wolton.

Dawson Drift: In 1908 John Dawson became the tenant farmer of Bell Farm. The farm was sold in 1911 after the death of the owner Lord Rendlesham. During the next eight years it changed hands twice and was owned by Baron Cranworth until 1924.

Sherwood Fields: During this period a Robert Sherwood tenanted Bell Farm and Crabbes Farm, later changed to Grange Farm. He became an authority on farming and was mentioned in various books.

Turner Grove: William Turner farmed at Crabbes Farm from 1855 to 1885.

Wainwrlght Way: John Wainwright took over Crabbes Farm from William Turner and farmed until 1891 when William Wright became farm bailiff, hence Wrights Lane.

Rush Court: Farm bailiff to local family farms. Recorded in 1851 census, born locally at Little Bealings and spent his working life in the area moving around Foxhall, Kesgrave, Playford and Bealings. After about 20 years Thomas Arkle became the owner, hence Arkle Court.

Other names include Athroll Mews. One of the commonest names in the parish register in the 19th century was Earthroul which later became Athroll.

Banyard Close: C R Banyard, builder, was known as Ray to all friends and employees. After serving in the army from 1939 to 1946 Ray worked for the old Deben Rural District Council on a self employed basis. He increased his work force and built the large blocks of flats in Castle Street, Woodbridge. He began Black Tiles Estate, started Melton Farm Estate and of course our own Cornwall Estate including Penzance Road and Falmouth Close. Ray decided in the mid-60s that he would take early retirement and sold his business to Sadlers & Co. of Ipswich.

Knights Lane: Stephen Knights lived at the bottom end of Dobbs Lane. He and his two sons were a well known team about the village. The "firm" built Bracken Avenue which was started before the war and held up for the duration. They also built Stephen Road and many bungalows in Kesgrave, Bealings, Playford and Rushmere. They also built the first extension to the Catholic Church.

[top]


Kesgrave News - Dec 1994

Sewell Wontner Close: Vicar of Kesgrave, Foxhall and Brightwell from 1925 to 1927. When the churches reorganised he became Vicar of same and part of Foxhall. Brightwell and the remainder of Foxhall joined up with Bucklesham. Reverend Wontner, together with his sister and mother, moved into the new rectory on the Main Road in April 1929. He instigated the building of the present church hail, alongside the present church, in 1930-32. Due to ill health he was forced to leave the parish prior to the completion of the building project. In 1947 negotiations took place with Rev Wontner and a field between the church and the old Post Office was bought from the family for £450. Conditions were laid down by the vendor as to how it could be used. This formed the land onto which the old Kesgrave War Memorial Community Centre was built. Upon the building of the Grange Farm development, the field and adjoining parcels of land were sold, together with the hail, and a new site was developed in Twelve Acre Approach. Part of the site reverted to the church.

Lummis Vale: Reverend W M Lummis was Vicar of Kesgrave from 1933 until 1941. He worked tirelessly to clear the debt on the church hall. He enlarged the Parish Magazine which was then acclaimed as one of the best in the county. He also produced a "Short History and Guide to Kesgrave" which is quite a sought after document. If anyone would like to borrow my copy please don't hesitate to ask. He had electricity laid into the church - it seems hard in these days to think of the oil lighting used in 1938.

Butler Smith Gardens: Reverend H Butler Smith was at the church from 1941 to 1973 and many of the present residents will remember "Harry". The miles he used to trudge around the village were unbelievable, as he had neither car nor bicycle. He spent many years on the old Deben Council, serving a term as Chairman. My father, who was not a regular church goer, always remarked, together with others, that the sermon would never be planned. When standing in the pulpit, looking around to see who was present, the Vicar would simply launch forth accordingly.

Rowarth Avenue: Claude Rowarth was born and brought up in Ipswich. He joined Messers Fisons after the Second World War, where he worked until his retirement. If it were necessary to argue the case for part time ministry, the life and work of Claude would provide convincing evidence of its value. He served as part time minister.

 

Last update on Tuesday 24 Jul 2018 by Alan Comber.

Go back