Pictorial History 1994
The collection of photographs and text contained in ‘Pictorial Kesgrave 1994’ was put together in 1994 with a view to having the collection published in some form or other. However following investigation through various sources by others and myself the cost of publication, alas, proved to be prohibitive.
With the passing of time the photographs which are pre Tesco’s, Route 66, The Birches Medical Centre, Millennium sports ground, traffic lights at roundabouts, etc are perhaps more appealing for their historical value showing the Grange Farm development in its early stages of construction.
Publication in the form of a printed book in these days of advanced digital technology would perhaps seem a trifle dated. The pages have therefore been scanned and made available in a digital form to reach a wider public that may be interested in viewing past photographs of our expanding town.
Since 1994 I have continued taking snaps in and around Kesgrave for ‘Kesgrave News Magazine’ and for my own collection. Needless-to-say a large quantity of photographs has amassed during this period, which I hope will form the basis for further volumes.
Keith Beecroft Copyright 2008
Many thanks to Norman Bugg for reading through the first draft and checking my information.
The Village sign designed by Albert Ribbans of Rushmere St. Andrew depicting one of the Cedar Trees, a notable feature of the Kesgrave Church Yard. The sign was presented to the Village by the Kesgrave Womans Institute in 1966 to commemorate the Institutes Golden Jubilee.
Originally sited at the old Kesgrave War Memorial Community Centre adjacent to the Main Road, then at the new Community Centre at Twelve Acre Approach and is now on the green outside The Walk.
Kesgrave Boundary Sign, Located on the Main Road adjacent to Holly Road, indicating the Parish West boundary.
Cast Iron Milestone, recast in the early 1990s after damage, situated on the north side of the Main Road west of the High School. A bygone from the times when the Main Road was part of the London to Great Yarmouth A12 trunk road.
'Pump House' - situated at the Sinks Pond, north of the Main Road, containing water pumps which delivered water for the Grange Farm irrigation system. The south side shows a painting of Saint Francis of Assisi, originally painted by Irwin Smith in 1943 while serving in the United Services. Renovated in 1984.
The north wall of the Pump House was decorated in 1950 by John Mc Guiness, an art student from Leiston and shows Saint Christopher and the child Jesus. Renovated in 1985 by Michael Head.
All Saints Church dates from about 1180, built of rubble in the early English style. The lower part of the Tower is of flint (13th Century) while the upper part is of red brick (16th century). Extensions to the south side were completed in the 1970s to cater for the increasing population of the Parish.
The Bell Inn, built adjacent to the Church, was probably a Hostel in years gone by. Ideally situated on the main London to Gt. Yarmouth road to serve the physical needs of the traveller while the Church served the spiritual needs.
Former Vicarage, situated opposite the Church on the north side of the Main Road, now a private dwelling. The extensive grounds saw many a garden party and Church function organised by the former occupiers.
The New Vicarage, Bell Lane, built for the Rev. David Hares when he vacated the former Vicarage opposite the Church.
Doctor Watsons Cottage, located at the corner of Doctor Watsons Lane, which runs from the Main Road close to the Bell Lane Junction, north towards Playford Road. Dr. Watson was a farm labourer working for the Fison family who ran Bell Farm at the time. The origin of the honorary 'Doctor' has been attributed to his abilities with sick horses. The nickname is said however, to go back to his school days, when he is reported to have bandaged a school fellows knee when he fell on the road near the school. The Lane corner was formally known as 'Old Scarletts Corner'.
Kesgrave 'Dream Bungalows'. In the 1920-30s a number of these bungalows were built in the Parish, consisting of just two rooms and constructed using locally produced Gayfer Concrete building blocks. The dwellings were intended to be sold to town people who required a dream home in a rural location. Many still remain but most, if not all have been extended and modernised.
'The Walk' Sheltered Accommodation, consisting of self contained flats and bungalows, was built by the Suffolk Coastal District Council in the early 1970s. The complex is built on the site formally occupied by Kesgrave House, owned by the Fison Family. Kesgrave House was demolished in 1971 when the Bell Lane to Main Road junction was diverted west of the site. Since 1992 the site has been administered by the Suffolk Heritage Housing Association.
Kesgrave War Memorial Community Centre, consisting of 6.25 acres of land, bought by the Parish Council in 1947 with monies raised by voluntary efforts of the local people, was designated a War Memorial. The Village Hall, Changing Rooms and Function Buildings were demolished in 1991 to make way for the second access roundabout to the Grange Farm Housing Development, after a new community complex was built at Twelve Acre Approach.
The Village Hall was built by volunteers with money raised by donation, the hard efforts of a fund raising committee and a grant. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs. Hervey, who donated £1000, from Little Bealings, in August 1957. Construction continued over a period of five years with the first function being a wedding reception held in March 1962.
The Community Centre also contained the British Legion Hall, The Scout Hut, senior and junior Football Pitches, Tennis Courts and a Cycle Speedway Track. Most activity groups in the Parish held functions at the Centre.
Kesgrave Cycle Speedway Track, home of the Kesgrave Panthers from the early 1950s, once proudly boasting that they were the only local track to have floodlighting, a public address system and their own starting/storage shed.
The Junior Football Pitch is shown beyond.
Scout Hut, located on land owned by Church and situated behind the Church Hall. The brick built hut replaces an old Nissen Hut that served as the 1st Kesgrave Scout Headquarters for many years. The existing hut originally had a flat roof, but the advantages of the storage space in a pitch roof was soon realised. An old rail wagon in the background was used as an additional store.
British Legion Hall, Located adjacent to the Scout Hut on the same Church owned land. Built in the late 1950s and extended since then.
Lynch Gate, All Saints Church. Sited at the entrance from the graveyard to the lawn Cemetery. Previously located at the Main Road entrance to the churchyard. Originally the roof was thatched by a local character 'Krongy' who lived in a shepherds hut alongside Spencers Garage at Martlesham.
Kesgrave Baptist Church, Cambridge Road, Originated as a Mission Hall 1927, became a Baptist Church in 1955. Extensions were added in 1959 and 1961 with the new Church opening in 1967.
Farm Cottage. One of the original Grange Farm workers homes, now isolated close to the subway that serves the footpath and cycle track that passes the Grange.
A Grange Farm workers dwelling, west of the Farmhouse, beautifully created from a wartime Nissen Hut by occupiers Arthur and Gwen Brett.
The Grange Farmhouse, a Grade 2 listed building, built in 1545-50 by William Smythe. Named The Grange when owned by the Jolly Family who farmed there from 1924 to 1989 when the land was sold for housing development. The farm had previously been called Crabbs Farm and Hall Farm. 1993 saw the transformation from farmhouse to Public House with restaurant extensions and renamed 'The Farmhouses'. The building is still owned by Patrick Jolly and is leased to the Brewery.
The Parish Council worked hard during the planning stage of the development to avoid the infill of the Ha Ha wall at the rear of the Grange otherwise this feature would have been lost forever.
The prints on this page of 'The Farmhouse' in 1993 can be compared with those on the previous page taken in 1989, to see the effect of the transformation from a farm to an Inn.
These two views were taken a few paces from the main gate to The Grange in 1989, looking east and west along the farm tracks prior to the sale of the land for housing development.
Compare these views taken in 1993, with those taken above from the same position in 1989. Notice the chimney of the Cottage, centre right, in the top print and the remaining trees in the lower print.
A further view of The Grange taken in 1992 following removal of the farm buildings and landscaping in the foreground. The Farmhouse having been renovated following a small internal fire and restored to grade 2 listed building status. All prior to the major transformation carried out a year later.
A Human Sundial, part of the landscaping close to The Grange. Just stand in the middle on a sunny day and tell the time where your shadow falls.
Compare these views of The Farmhouse taken in 1993 following the conversion work, with those of The Grange above.
Further views of The Farmhouse just prior to opening, the tables are set on the patio and the car park is ready.
Kesgrave Hall School, formally known as Kesgrave Hall and St. Edmunds School dates from 1750 but built in its present form in 1812. The site was previously occupied by Cinque Farm, Sink Farm and Robletts Farm. During the war the school was evacuated to Gloucester and the buildings used as a convalescent home by the U.S. Forces. Mrs. Marshall ran the School after the war, after she moved from St. Edmunds Road in Ipswich, hence the name St. Edmunds School.
Lodge Cottages. A pair of cottages situated on the Main Road opposite Dobbs Lane. These cottages were at the head of the main drive leading to Kesgrave Hall, which also served as the road to Bealings and beyond. The owner at the time, was unhappy with the road passing close to the Hall, so he had it moved 100 yards or so to the east, where it is today.
'Railway Carriage Home' in Dobbs Lane, occupied for many years by Mr. and Mrs. Bert Smith. A very smart and cosy home it was, shown here being stripped by a railway enthusiast in 1991, who hopes to remove it to add to his collection.
Dobbs Grave. In 1740 a man named Dobbs, a shepherd, hanged himself at Hall Farm, latterly known as Grange Farm. In those days suicides were not buried in Church Cemeteries therefore Dobbs, as was customary in those days, was buried at a crossroads. The crossroads in this case being the tracks that marked the boundaries between the parishes of Kesg rave, Martlesham, Foxhall and Brightwell.
'Long Strops'. A cart track between Bell Lane and Dobbs Lane. Until the late 1980s this marked the boundary between the parishes of Kesgrave and Foxhall. The boundary Commission decided that the southern boundary should be moved to the Foxhall Road thus bringing into the parish such notable sites as the Smallpox Hospital, the Communication Station and Foxhall Speedway Stadium.
Falcon Caravan Sales, formally the Falcon Caravan Garage and Filling Station and prior to that Craskes Garage. The site was devastated by a plane crash in December 1958, when a Super Sabre fighter of the 79th Tactical Fighter Squadron of the USAF crashed into the Garage, demolishing the bungalow in which the secretary Mrs. Betty Aggis was working. Mrs. Aggis was killed, Mr. Fred Ward Snr. in premises a couple of doors west was badly injured and died from his injuries three days later. The adjacent boarding kennels building was extensively damaged requiring rebuilding, the garage bungalow was never replaced. The pilot baled out and was uninjured.
Kesgrave Tyre and Exhaust Centre, formally Brooklands Motors, Graham Avery Garage and filling station. The business used to be run as a small filling station and cycle repairers by a Mr. Quantrill.
B E Sewell Garage, filling station and car sales, located on the Main Road close to the junction with Edmunton Road. The premises used to be occupied by Mann Egerton as a tractor repair depot with Mr. Markham from Martlesham as manager. Until quite recently the Mann Egerton name could be seen painted on the garage roof.
Main Road, photographed at the junction with Edmonton Road looking east towards the Bell Inn. Showing the service road to the Kesgrave Kitchen Cafe, Coop, other shops and bungalows.
Co-op Store, Main Road, fronted by the service road, altered extended and modernised by Ipswich Cooperative Society. Originally the premises consisted of two shops, Stannards Newsagents on the left and a ladies hairdressers on the right.
Kesgrave Kitchen Cafe, Main Road, fronted by the service road to provide parking for light vehicles. Formally Toms Transport Cafe, which at the time had its own separate car and lorry park at the east end of the service road, where a pair of houses now stand. The Premises were previously a Drapers Store.
Primrose Dairy, Main Road, close to the Co-op, now a private residence. From this site Henry Smith and his sister Freda supplied and delivered milk to the local community every day from 1929 to 1971, by Horse drawn cart, initially and then motorised vehicle. Whilst working in Dobbs Lane near the shop Fredas horse collapsed and died.
Mainline Furniture and Antiques, Main Road, at the east end of the service road. Previously Randells Butchers Shop.
Former Post Office Stores, built for that purpose in 1938. Here the local mail was collected, sorted and distributed and counter services carried out until the business was transferred to the Butchers Shop opposite the Main Road School in 1991. Originally run for many years by Peter Woolnough, the business was then taken over by the Bloomfields then the Smiths, changed hands again and was extensively enlarged in 1990 to form a number of self contained flats to rear and an office to the front west corner. The Shop now sells flowers, clothing and stationery.
Kesgrave Fisheries, run by the Ellis family, extended and refurbished in 1992 to include a pizza bar. Previously run by the Bixbys, the Quantrills and prior to that 0. Ketteringham who advertised a fish and chip supper delivered to your door for 6d (pre-decimal)
A further view showing the refurbished frontage and the extension to the rear.
Penzance Road shopping complex, built in the 1950s as part of the 'Cornwall' housing development.
Post Office, on the corner of Oregan Road and Penzance Road - notice the mobile Butchers Shop.
Two further views of the Penzance Road shopping complex taken in 1992 showing the parking problem of the time. Improvements to the parking area and harc surfacing to the forecourt is planned. The Village Store was previously run by the Battle Brothers who had the reputation of being able to supply anything - and they did.
Edmonton Road, Montana Road shopping area, complementing the Penzance Road complex serving the 'Cornwall' and 'Canadian' estates.
Elmers, a family run business, has held the major site since its construction, a general provisions supermarket and hardware store until the 1980s at which time the whole business was devoted to hardware.
R. Johnson Butchers, situated on the south side of the Main Road, west of the High School subway. Before becoming a butchers the premises were used by Bennetts General Stores, frequented by the school children spending their pocket money on confectionery and the like.
A view of the Butchers Shop in 1992 following the addition of the Post Office Counter Service into the shopping area.
Doranda Carpets Shop, located on the north side of the Main Road opposite the Church, originally a Drug Store and Shoe Repair Shop. Mr. Brown expanded his Drug Store to incorporate the whole of the shop but eventually sold to Doranda. A notable feature of the shop is the timber frontage, which was brought from Limmer and Pipers shop on the Cornhill, in Ipswich, when that shop was demolished to make way for the arch construction when Lloyds Avenue was taken through to give access to the Cornhill.
Carpet Cuts, Main Road, adjacent to the Bell Inn, retailing off-cuts from Doranda Carpets. These premises prior to renovation had been the Post Office Stores and then a General Stores with an adjacent Fish & Chip Shop which ceased trading in the late 1950s when the General Stores extended, building wool racks over the old frying range. Recent rebuilding caused amazement with the locals by being reconstructed wall by wall, using the original timber frame and roof members.
161, Main Road, now a private residence, once the premises of Banthorpes and later A.S. Gower coal merchants, who supplied the local community and beyond with fuel from stocks piled high in the backyard. The drive to the left led to E.J. & V.C. Fentons Fruit Farm, now part of the Grange Farm Housing Development.
Property adjacent to the Coal Merchants - is this where teas were served to weary travellers in years gone by? It is thought the Tea Shop was called Bonnies and it is said that H.R.H. The Queen Mother once stopped for refreshments on her way to Southwold.
All Saints Church Hall. Built in 1932 on ground adjacent to the Church graveyard, facing the Main Road. Opened by Mrs. C. Lawrence, wife of the Archdeacon of Suffolk, on July 4th 1932 Built for a total cost of £1711.
It is reported that an old stable, in the grounds of Kesgrave House, once served as the Church Hall prior to the purpose built hall being built in 1932. Is this that building? now a private dwelling close to where Kesgrave House once stood near to the Bell Lane junction with the Main Road.
The Catholic Church, Main Road, photographed prior to the access roundabout to the Grange Farm housing development being constructed and prior to major extension work to the Church itself. The original drive to Grange Farm can be seen to the left of the Church.
The interior of the Church, prior to major extension work, carried out in 1993. A model of the R101 can be seen suspended from the roof.
The Catholic Church of the Holy Family & St. Michael was constructed in 1931, by relatives and friends to the memory of Squadron Leader Michael Rope, who lost his life in the R101 Airship disaster on October 5th 1930 near Beauvais, France.
Compare this views with those above to see the effect of the extension work on the external appearance of the Church.
All Saints Church Lawn Cemetery, adjacent to the Graveyard with access through the Lych-gate.
Gypsy Boy Grave, All Saints Church. In 1930 a small gypsy boy, named Frederick Burton, was accidentally shot by his brother at Martlesham Hill. The grave in the churchyard is frequently visited and well attended.
Another notable memorial in the Churchyard is that of John Chilcott, Horse Dealer, who died at the age of 25, on the 1st April 1851. On one side of the memorial is an inscription to the memory of Rosabella, otherwise Isabella, sister to John who died in a gypsy camp at California, Ipswich on the 16th April 1857, aged 26. The upper surface of the memorial bears another inscription, this in memory of Repronia Lee who died on 2nd March 1862, aged 25, a cousin to John
Kesgrave Social Club, Edmonton Road, located at the junction with the Main Road. The Club provides leisure activities in spacious bars, games room, lounge and dance hall, for members from the local community and beyond. Built in its present form following a major fire which destroyed the previous timber building.
Old Telephone Exchange, opposite the Church on the north side of the Main Road, now a private dwelling. Built in 1927 as a Telephone Exchange and paid for by Mr. W.M. Fison, owner of Kesgrave House. Mr Fison came to Kesgrave in 1923 and wanting a telephone, he arranged with the Post Office that he would build the exchange and rent it to the P.O., to speed up the availability of the phone service. Mr Fison was given phone number 2, number 1 being given to the Public Phone Box installed at the same time. This manual exchange ceased to operate when the new automatic exchange was opened, in Doctor Watsons Lane, in 1969.
Automatic Telephone Exchange, Doctor Watsons Lane. Built in 1969 when the direct dialling system came to this part of the Country, rendering the old manual exchange on the Main Road obsolete.
Fruit farm House. The residence and operational headquarters of the Fenton Family, who farmed the site from 1933 until the sale for residential development with Grange Farm, in 1989. Originally specialising in soft fruit but more recently in general arable, the farm was previously owned by Captain Dickerson and called Bell Barn Farm.
Mansion House Bedding Company, Holly Road. Formally E.C. Page (East Anglia) Bedding Company, a family business since 1938 producing the nationally known Sure-O-Sleep mattresses and divans.
Jackson Group, Head Office and site, Dobbs Lane. Situated on land previously occupied by Gayfer Concrete, manufacturers of Concrete products including the blocks from which the 'Dream Bungalows' were built. The Jackson Group, founded in 1952, is the largest employer in the Parish and comprises the following companies: Roadworks, Anglia Plant, F J Construction, Factair, Ingram Smith, Biscoe Transport, Jackson Projects and Anglair.
'Dower House' attached to the Grange Farm House and situated adjacent to the Catholic Church on the Main Road. Originally occupied by Philip Jolly and his family, son of the 'old' MrJolly owner and occupier of the Grange. The Dower House is now occupied by Mrs. Rope, sisterto Phillip Jolly. Patrick Jolly, the present owner of the Grange 'Farmhouse' building, is the son of Philip Jolly.
Police House, Main Road. Built in 1948 along with similar premises in villages throughout the County, as residence and office for local 'Bobby'. No longer used as a residence.
Bungalow adjacent to The Falcon Caravan site, formally a Dog Kennels, run by Mrs. Gifford, until the premises were devastated by a plane crash in December 1958, following which the bungalow was rebuilt as private residence.
The Green, Bell Lane. The pre-1924 map of Kesgrave shows a pair of isolated cottages mid-way down Bell Lane, known as 'Texas'. The high roofed portion of the building shown in the photograph is the original 'Texas' Cottages, now extended and modernised.
The Lodge, one of the few buildings on the north side of the Main Road. The original gamekeepers cottage to Bracken Hall. Once occupied by Gordon Kinsey, the aviation authors family followed by the Rope family.
Bracken Hall, Main Road, situated on the north side of the Main Road alongside the entrance to The Sinks. The Hall was built in 1906 and occupied by Captain and Mrs. V. Gilbey until 1929 when Col. William Gordon Yates took up residence. Later occupied by Hayward Smith the estate agents, Sneezums the local store owners the then by a timber importer.
Glanville Place Housing Estate, off Bell Lane, adjacent to Foxhall Heath. A Deben Rural District Council development constructed in the early 1950s.
Heathview Flats, Glanville Place. Further development by Suffolk County Council, in 1968, an addition to the existing Glanville Estate.
Communications Station, off Foxhall Road at the end of Bell Lane, now in the Parish following the change of the south boundary from Long strops to the Foxhall Road, in the 1980s. Closed in 1992, the site has been operated by the U.S.A.F., having been a feature of the landscape and source of controversy regarding the noise from the generators, for many years. The grounds, heavily guarded, were reported to have extensive underground networks.
Isolation Hospital or Smallpox Hospital, Foxhall Road. Another notable site brought into the Parish by the Boundary Commission changes in the 1980s. Fortunately not used as a Hospital for many Years, but was kept at stand-by until fairly recently
Doctor Crawfords Surgery, Main Road, adjacent to the junction with Cambridge Road. Priorto the Doctor being in Bell Lane, Dr. Crawford, who lived in Woodbridge, held surgery in one of the rooms in this property, now a private residence.
Chester House, so called after Chester Cardew the Doctor who had the property built as a house with surgery occupying the out buildings to the front. Dr. Dewer followed, then Dr. Stewart Young, head of the present practice and who had the purpose made surgery built next door, converting the old surgery as an extension to his residence.
Doctors Surgery, Bell Lane, one of the first, if not the first, purpose built surgery in Suffolk. Built adjacent to the Doctors House, which originally housed the surgery.
District Nurses House, Bell Lane, adjacent to Heath School. A private residence but once the home of the District Nurse, conveniently situated close to the Doctors Surgery.
Augustus Barnett, wine merchants, Nos 1-3 Dobbs Lane. Renovations and improvements carried out in 1992 took in the whole of the ground floor into the sales and store area. Formerly a general grocers and off license trading under the name, Deben Stores, Spar Supermarket and Deben Valley Stores. When owned by the Bugg family, one stood in wonder at the vast range of goods displayed. The previous owner was a Mr Leadbetter who was responsible for converting the original two shops of Greens Cash Stores and Denny's into one.
Scout Hut and British Legion Hall, located on Church ground, behind the Church. A view showing the adjacent grassed area now fenced off as a Church Car Park in 1993.
Council Offices, Ropes Drive, officially opened by Mr. Crispen Rope on 13th August 1993. Purpose built to house the ever increasing volume of parish council documents and for meeting rooms.
All Saints Church, floodlit
Catholic Church of the Holy Family & St. Michael, floodlit
The Farmhouse, Public House, floodlit
The Bell Inn, Public House, floodlit
Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter, the four seasons photographed in the woods, Dobbs lane.
The new access roundabout and road with its cycle track and subway, leading to the Grange Farm Housing Development, started in 1989. Situated adjacent to the Catholic Church and opposite the road to the sinks. A detached bungalow and the Grange Nursery Greenhouses, specialising in carnations were demolished to make way for the road.
Compare these views with the previous two. Two or three years have seen the Church extended, the landscaping of the subway access and the buildings completed up to the roundabout. The cycle track follows part of the original drive serving Grange Farm.
Kesgrave High School, situated on the north side of the Main Road, formally Kesgrave Secondary Modern School and Kesgrave Area School. Built in 1930-31 and opened in October 1931, teaching all local children from the age of 5 years upwards and children over 11 years from the surrounding villages. Captain R.F. Harrison was the first headmaster in charge of 183 pupils. The pedestrian subway under the Main Road was constructed in 1960 as a condition of further expansion to the parish, originally exclusively for school use with the north entrance being in the school grounds.
This large extension with another wing to the rear, a new assembly hall and workshops was built in the 1960s in the typical style of the era. Further extensions were added to rear in the late 1980s.
A rear view of the High School, showing the single storey extensions and the open area which served as the general sports area until the recent reclamation of land to the side of the school and the construction of new football pitches
Kesgrave Youth Club, constructed in 1966 within the grounds of the High School. Officially opened by John Mcgregor of Anglia Television, it contains a coffee bar, lounge, games room etc., for the use of local young people aged 14 to 21. It is also home to the Three Bears Playgroup.
Kesgrave Heath School, Bell Lane, Infant and Primary education, opened by Benjamin Britten in 1954 with an original roll of 261 pupils. The Main Road School then became a secondary school for 11 year olds and upwards.
Kesgrave War Memorial Community Centre, Twelve Acre Approach, off Bell lane. Built by local company F J Construction and financed by the Developers of the Grange Farm Housing Scheme, replacing the old K.W.M.C.C. Hall and grounds, removed in 1989, to construct the new access road and roundabout.
Community Hall and Function Centre, rear view shown prior to the Memorial Gardens being completed and the building of the Bowls Pavilion.
Kesgrave Kinderplay Area, adjacent to the Community Centre Hall, Twelve Acre Approach.
Bowls Pavilion, adjacent to the Community Centre Hall, built in 1992.
Bowls Green, shown in use on the Kesgrave Fun Day in 1992. The Community Centre Hall is seen in the background.
Cricket Pavilion and Changing Rooms at the Community Centre Sports Ground, seen here being used to provide teas on the Family Fun Day in 1992.
Tennis Courts, Community Centre Sports Ground, utilising the rear of the Cricket Pavilion for Changing facilities.
Bandstand, Community Centre, Twelve Acre Approach. Erected in memory of local lad, Daniel Maskey. Shown on the Official opening in June 1992 at the Family Fun Day.
Cycle Speedway Track at the new Community Centre Sports Ground. Replacing the old track removed when the new access road to Grange Farm Housing Development was constructed.
Wall Plaque in the entrance to the New Community Centre Hall.
All year round sports facilities, available on the Community Centre Ground in the way of Cricket, Football, Bowls, Tennis, Cycle Speedway, etc.
Foundation Stone from the old Kesgrave War Memorial Community Centre Hall, re-sited in the Memorial Garden of the new Community Centre, unveiled in 1993 by Syd Webb, chairman of the old halls fund raising committee.
Oakwood House, a Suffolk Coastal District Council Housing Development for residents with special needs
Radio Aerial, adjacent to the Speedway Stadium on Foxhall Heath transmitting radio signals to S. E. Suffolk for Suffolk Group Radio, formally Radio Orwell. Opened in October 1975.
Foxhall Stadium Speedway Track, Foxhall Heath, now in the Parish of Kesgrave following the amendments carried out by the Boundary Commission in the 1980s. Home of the Ipswich Witches Speedway Team since its construction in 1950. The original shale speedway track of 410 yards has now been tarmaced for small circuit car racing with a new smaller speedway track inside. The Ipswich Town Football 'A' Team once played a season of football in the centre circle.
Traffic Lights at the Main Road junction with Bell lane. Installed in 1993, when the arguments for and against the proposed routes for the Kesgrave bypass continued.
Kiln Farm, in the parish of Playford, but named in connection with Kesgrave Brickyard that operated in the late 19th century at the wasteland and pit situated at the north end of Holly Road. This white bricks produced by John Pells and Son come from the brickearth material that extended southwest from Kiln Farm through Holly Road.
Last update on Sunday 27 Jan 2019 by Alan Comber.